My grandfather William Thompson was the station sergeant at Markethill RUC station during the WW2.
My Mum lived at the RUC station during the war, and remembers things like
- American GIs at Gosford.
- German PoWs at Gosford – and also at Markethill RUC station.
- Sounding the air raid siren at Markethill.
She remembers that the GIs brought bananas, oranges and chocolate for the first time in many years.
Some further links:
- My aunt Fay’s article on Markethill RUC Station during WW2.
- PoWs in Gosford – I think the foundations of the PoW huts are still there, except the model chapel built by Italian PoWs seems to have disappeared from the main car park.
- American GIs in Gosford
- History of Gosford Castle.
- History of Gosford
This topic also mentioned in one of my blog articles.